X.Org Foundation GSoC mentors and projects

Trevor Woerner twoerner at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 19:56:13 UTC 2022

Hi everyone,

Thanks to the amazing work Rodrigo does mentoring students (which
introduces them to GNU/Linux in general and X.Org/fd.o in particular) it
looks like we might have some potential GSoC candidates this year.

The last time we ran an X.Org GSoC, back in 2020, our amazing student,
Melissa, not only passed her project with flying colours, she continues on
in our community to this day as a co-admin of the VKMS driver. Several
other members of our community came to us via GSoC and are also still with
us making significant contributions.

Rodrigo and Melissa have put together a project they are excited to mentor:
https://www.x.org/wiki/AMDGPU2022/ . Daniel Vetter has also agreed to
mentor; perhaps a drm-related project. I've agreed to be the admin on
behalf of X.Org for our participation in GSoC.

If anyone else is interested in volunteering we would certainly appreciate
the help. We're always looking for mentors and project ideas. Our current
list of projects/mentors is found on our Ideas page:
https://www.x.org/wiki/SummerOfCodeIdeas/

If you have any questions or interest please get in touch!

Best regards,
    Trevor