Accessing the time, compatible with motion time-stamps

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 00:33:02 UTC 2022

On Thu, Jun 23, 2022 at 4:07 PM Simon Ser <contact at emersion.fr> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wednesday, June 22nd, 2022 at 06:03, Campbell Barton <ideasman42 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > - zwp_tablet_tool_v2_listener.motion
> > callback doesn't take time-stamps.
> >
> > Is there a way to access the time that is compatible with
> > pointer_listener.motion in situations where callbacks don't provide a
> > time?
>
> You can use the zwp_tablet_tool_v2.frame event, sent right after each
> group of tablet tool events. It carries a timestamp.
>
> Simon

Thanks, I realize now I wasn't using the tablet API correctly,
regarding motion-tilt etc.

There are still a handful of cases where it would be useful to access
the time value according to wayland.

For example, "enter" callbacks don't take a time argument.
- wl_data_device_listener.enter
- wl_pointer_listener.enter

In these cases an event is generated in the client application that
could use the time.

--
- Campbell