Dynamically loading libwayland complications

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Wed Jun 29 02:38:12 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, 28 June 2022 19:00:26 PDT Campbell Barton wrote:
> Hi, recently I was looking into dynamically loading libwayland to be
> able to support both X11 and Wayland, without requiring libwayland.
> For our project is currently a requirement for adopting Wayland.

Simplify your problem by dynamically loading a plugin that links to
libwayland, instead of dynamically loading libwayland.

> From what I can tell there is no portable way to wrap
> `wl_proxy_marshal_flags` see [0],
> Using GCC's `__builtin_apply` does work but this isn't available in
> CLANG so I'd prefer to avoid it.

> The only portable way I found to handle this was to create a header
> that needs to be included before any of the headers generated by
> wayland-scanner (which make calls to `wl_proxy_marshal_flags`), which
> can be replaced by a reference to a function pointer instead of
> requiring the function to exist and link at build time.

How is this different from any other function from libwayland, variadic or not?
If your code isn't linking to libwayland, then it can't call any of those
functions. Therefore, you must be using a code generator that is calling
something other than those functions.