The state of Quantization Range handling

Sebastian Wick sebastian.wick at redhat.com
Thu Nov 17 21:39:36 UTC 2022

On Wed, Nov 16, 2022 at 1:34 PM Pekka Paalanen <ppaalanen at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > scaling it to limited range data if the sink expects limited range
> > data.
>
> Hi Sebastian,
>
> you are proposing the that driver/hardware will do either no range
> conversion, or full-to-limited range conversion. Limited-to-full range
> conversion would never be supported.
>
> I still wonder if limited-to-full range conversion could be useful with
> video content.
>
> > Another problem is that some displays do not behave correctly. It must
> > be possible to override the kernel when the user detects such a
> > situation. This override then controls if the driver converts the full
> > range data coming from the client or not (Default, Force Limited,
> > Force Full). It does not try to control what range the sink expects.
> > Let's call this the Quantization Range Override property which should
> > be implemented by all drivers.
>
> In other words, a CRTC "quantization range conversion" property with
> values:
> - auto, with the assumption that color pipeline always produces full-range
> - identity
> - full-to-limited
> (- limited-to-full)
>
> If this property was truly independent of the metadata being sent to
> the sink, and of the framebuffer format, it would allow us to do four
> ways: both full/limited framebuffer on both full/limited sink. It would
> allow us to send sub-blacks and super-whites as well.
>
> More precisely, framebuffers would always have *undefined* quantization
> range. The configuration of the color pipeline then determines how that
> data is manipulated into a video signal.
>
> So I am advocating the same design as with color spaces: do not tell
> KMS what your colorspaces are. Instead tell KMS what operations it
> needs to do with the pixel data, and what metadata to send to the sink.
>
> > All drivers should make sure their behavior is correct:
> >
> > * check that drivers choose the correct default quantization range for
> > the selected mode
>
> Mode implying a quantization range is awkward, but maybe the kernel
> established modes should just have a flag for it. Then userspace would
> know. Unless the video mode system is extended to communicate
> IT/CE/SD/VIC and whatnot to userspace, making the modes better defined.
> Then userspace would know too.
>
> > * whenever explicit control is available, use it and set the
> > quantization range to full
> > * make sure that the hardware converts from full range to limited
> > range whenever the sink expects limited range
> > * implement the Quantization Range Override property
> >
> > I'm volunteering for the documentation, UAPI and maybe even the drm
> > core parts if there is willingness to tackle the issue.
>
> Is it a good idea to put even more automation/magic into configuring
> the color pipeline and metadata for a sink, making them even more
> intertwined?
>
> I would prefer the opposite direction, making thing more explicit and

In general I completely agree with this, I just don't think it's
feasible with the current state of KMS. For the color pipeline API [1]
that's exactly the behavior I want but it should be guarded behind a
DRM cap.

For that new API, user space needs direct control over the
quantization range infoframe and the kernel has to somehow tell user
space what quantization range the sink expects for the default
behavior. User space then programs the infoframe when possible and
builds the color pipeline in such a way that the output is whatever
the sink expects.

The issue really is that if we push this all to user space it would be
a backwards incompatible change. So let's fix the current situation in
a backwards compatible way and then get it right for the new API that
user space can opt-into.

Does that make sense?

[1] https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pq/color-and-hdr/-/issues/11