How Wayland manages the automation/access of input devices and deal with block on them

Victor Borghi Gimenez (FIPT) victorborghi at ipt.br
Fri Nov 25 07:04:14 UTC 2022

Hello there,

I was developing some scripts to automate test cases using Xlib package in Python to test resources (click in icons, verify the opened window, text that appeared) on a new linux distro here, before it was standardized in X11 and now they decided to standardize it in Wayland and it let me stucked to keep the development of the scripts because the lack of working. I also give a dig to find packages in Python and mouse/keyboard simulation tools compatible with Wayland which work in terminal and I found python-uinput which works for simulation of keyboard but not to simulate mouse, and ydotool which gave me error. Now I would like to know how Wayland manages the automation of mouse and keyboard opposed to X11/XOrg in order to develop any script in Python or other language to automate input devices, I don't have any knowledge of the differences from XOrg and Wayland and I fell in this study because the need to automate Wayland.

Thanks in advance,

Victor