Weston 8: kiosk-shell background is black but should be grey

Alexandros Frantzis alexandros.frantzis at collabora.com
Tue Oct 4 08:56:57 UTC 2022

On Tue, Oct 04, 2022 at 08:55:22AM +0100, Terry Barnaby wrote:
> From what I can see the kiosk-shell in Weston 9.0 should draw a grey (0.5,
> 0.5, 0.5) solid colour background. However on my NXP embedded system it
> shows as black.
>
> Should the kiosk-shell in Weston 9.0 actually draw grey ?
>
> If so is there some configuration I'm missing or is there a bug with that
> release ?
>
> Terry

Hi Terry,

kiosk-shell until some point after 9.0.0 (until commit 73aaf14e to be
precise), has a hardcoded grey background. I just verified this works
fine with 9.0.0, at least with an Intel GPU.

The aforementioned commit changes the default background to black and
allows reading a background color value from the .ini file, like
desktop-shell does.

If you are not seeing a grey background, could it be the case that the
Weston version you are using is not actually pure 9.0.0 but is based on
some commit after 9.0.0 (so really version 9.0.9x) that also includes the
background-color support?

The first lines of your Weston log should provide information about the
exact version/build you are running. What do the lines say?

In the email subject you wrote "Weston 8", is this a typo?

Thanks,
Alexandros