frame callbacks and sub_surfaces

Joel Winarske joel.winarske at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 03:56:14 UTC 2022

When using sub_surfaces what is the expected behavior for frame callbacks
on a given surface?

Say I have the following:

1. base surface
2. xdg surface referencing base surface
3. wl surface A
4. subsurface from a and base surface (default settings - none applied)
5. wl surface B (set for sync)
6. subsurface from wl surface B and wl surface A (above/sync setting)

I find if I use wl_callback_add_listener using "surface A" when working
with "surface B" I get frame event callbacks of "surface A".  If I use
wl_callback_add_listener with "surface B" I never see a frame callback.  Do
I need to explicitly set the state of each subsurface in the stack to
match, and not rely on "default settings"?

I tried setting "subsurface from B and surface B" as de-sync and I
experienced no change in behavior.

I am at the point of mocking up a minimum repro case to exercise this
further.  I'm hoping someone can enlighten me.

Thanks,
Joel