Retrieving monitor connection information

Simon Ser contact at emersion.fr
Thu Sep 1 11:42:45 UTC 2022

On Thursday, September 1st, 2022 at 13:36, Andrew Marshall <andrew at algodynamic.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Sept 2022 at 12:01, Mikhail Gusarov <dottedmag at dottedmag.net> wrote:
>

> > In the described use-case compositor is most likely known and fixed.
>
> Yes, however can I guarantee that the output names will remain the same in the following scenarios -
>
> * Rebooting of the system
> * Disconnection and reconnection of display devices
>
> ?

No. KMS names ("DP-2") cannot be used for a reliable identifier.
wl_output.name specification states:

	The name is not guaranteed to be persistent across sessions, thus cannot
	be used to reliably identify an output in e.g. configuration files.

See the discussion at [1] for more info. To fix this, we'd need a new
wl_output event and a new KMS property.

[1]: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayland/wayland/-/merge_requests/109#note_813539