protocol to list input (physical) devices

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 08:43:10 UTC 2022

On Thu, 15 Sep 2022 19:10:09 +0300
Vasyl Vavrychuk <vvavrychuk at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have written a small application for sending input events for test
> purposes using uinput.
>
> But, after I create uinput event device, I don't know how to wait
> until wayland picks it up.
>
> Could there be a way to list physical input devices available via
> wayland protocol? Similarly how wl_output is used to list outputs.

Hi,

there could. I just think a compositor-specific testing extension
that not only enumerates input devices but allows creating and
destroying them and forwarding input events would be used instead. No
need for uinput and no need for access to kernel input devices either,
making test setups much simpler to run.

That reminds me of https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/libinput/libei which
might be better than a compositor home-brewn solution.