Wrong (non modified) key under Wayland when multiple events combined in single SYN_REPORT

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Mon Sep 19 13:09:15 UTC 2022


On 9/13/22 12:28, Carlos Garnacho wrote:
> Hi!,
> On Tue, Sep 13, 2022 at 11:36 AM Hans de Goede <hdegoede at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> On 9/12/22 23:20, Peter wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>> Op maandag 12 september 2022 om 15:14:09 +0200 schreef Juerd Waalboer <juerd at tnx.nl>:
>>>> Hans de Goede skribis 2022-09-12  7:16 (+0200):
>>>>> During a big hacker event in the Netherlands this summer (MCH) the logistics
>>>>> team used custom barcodes to keep track of inventory. These custom barcodes
>>>>> contain a # symbol.
>>>> In other barcodes, @ symbols. Quite possibly anything with shifted characters; I vaguely recall a mixed case (ascii) string where the uppercasing was on the wrong letter.
>>> Yes, that definitely also happened.
>>>>> Juerd, we did not discuss how you were running Wayland (which compositor),
>>>>> I guess you were using GNOME3 when you hit this ?
>>>> I'm not sure, as I only encountered the bug as an end user and suggested changing to X to work around it (which worked). I've added Peter Hazenberg to the CC list; he installed and maintained the computers, and is familiar with the bug. Peter, can you confirm that we were using GNOME 3 in both Wayland and X?
>>> Yes, we used gnome 3. It was mostly a boring default Fedora 36 Workstation installation.
>>> Good to hear Hans already reproduced the issue at the mentioned hackerspace, I assume with the exact same hardware
>> Yes I reproduced it on my own laptop inside a terminal under GNOME3. I suspect that it reproduces on any (VTE based?) terminal running under GNOME3 Wayland when using the right barcode-scanner model and scanning specific barcodes.
> Thanks Hans/Juerd/Peter. I can reproduce this issue on GNOME Shell
> with the evemu logs provided. From my multiple tries, the libinput
> debug output seems pretty much consistent and in line with the evemu
> output (i.e. press shift, release 't', press '3', release shift), so
> there does not seem to be any issue there. At the wayland level, the
> wl_keyboard.modifier events received by the client are somewhat amiss
> though.
> Amusingly, running on plain Mutter (e.g. `mutter --wayland
> --display-server` on a TTY) does also seem to fix the issue. The most
> immediate difference I can think of is the involvement of input
> methods.
> Since this does not seem to be a generic Wayland issue, feel free to
> file a bug at https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-shell/-/issues and
> move discussion there, this might still end up in Mutter, or in IBus,
> unclear yet.

Thanks, issue filed:




More information about the wayland-devel mailing list