Wayland/weston, Qt and RDP connection...

Marius Vlad marius.vlad at collabora.com
Sat Jan 14 09:58:37 UTC 2023

On Fri, Jan 13, 2023 at 08:07:07PM +0000, Matti Ristimäki wrote:
> Hi,
Hi,

> Thanks for the reply!
>

> Jep, this might be the reason...
>
> > --modules=systemd-notify.so --modules=screen.share.so
>
> This might be a long shot but it is screen-share.so (hyphen).
>

> We did try the RDP-weston -session this way too...
>

> 1.
>
> Running RDP-weston -session manually via terminal and after that forcing weston-smoke to the RDP-weston -session.
>

> First weston rdp-backend command via terminal. Notice, that here the "--modules=screen-share.so" is written correctly: (And after that WAYLAND_DISPLAY=wayland-0 is running...)
>

> weston --backend=rdp-backend.so --modules=screen-share.so --rdp-tls-cert=/data/etc/ssh/tls.crt --rdp-tls-key=/data/etc/ssh/tls.key
Just noticed, you already start weston with the RDP backend *and* with
the screen-share module. Is that on purpose?

The screen-share module starts a weston instance with the RDP backend
(assuming you have start-on-startup in the ini file) which you connect
to.

So for instance, if you have the following in your ini file:

[core]
modules=screen-share.so

[screen-share]
command=/path/to/weston --backend=rdp-backend.so --shell=fullscreen-shell.so --no-clients-resize --rdp-tls-key=rdp/tls.key --rdp-tls-cert=rdp/tls.crt --no-config
start-on-startup=true

Then you run it like:

$ /path/to/weston --config /path/to/weston.ini

It would automatically start *another* weston instance on the machine to
connect to. Weston then chooses up, its own a back-end to use locally
(for instance the DRM back-end), but also creates another weston instance
with the RDP back-end (which is being done by the screen-share module).

So, when the second RDP instance is started by screen-share.so it won't
really do anything as it won't be able to do a socket bind (being an already
RDP server instance on that port).

Do you have a display/an output on that local device, or is it without
any outputs graphic devices?

Can you provide a full weston log when this happens?

> 2.
>
> Opening RDP session from the remote computer...still "empty" screen as it should be.
>

> [cid:image001.png at 01D92798.8B720D00]
>

> 3.
>
> Forcing weston-smoke to the RDP-weston -session with below command.
>
> root at sm2s-imx8mp:/opt/cpx# WAYLAND_DISPLAY=wayland-0 weston-smoke
>

> Aaand it works like a charm!
>
> weston-smoke appears to the RDP-weston -session and "smoke animation is alive" when mouse is hovered from the remote computer via RDP:
>

> [cid:image002.png at 01D92798.8B720D00]
>

> 4.
>
> However...
>

> When driving the Qt GUI in RDP-weston -session, it gives a bit different failure code:
>

> /opt/cpx/cpx.sh: line 84:   943 Segmentation fault      ./cpx --rotate=0 "$@"
The application literally crashes at start-up. It could be from a
myriad of reasons and it's a bit unlikely this has anything to do with
RDP. I suspect that you don't have any outputs or graphics nodes/devices, so
this would be a bit hard to test without the RDP back-end.

Think Qt has a habbit of crashing if there are some wayland protocol violations
happening. You can easily confirm that by checking weston logs or/and
start the application using WAYLAND_DEBUG=1 env variable. When
terminating a connection due to a protocol violation it would print
that. Verifying this might narrow things a bit.

Finally, I would probably reach out to the folks that wrote that
application and supply them with a stacktrace/backtrace. You'll need to
gather a coredump and provide a stacktrace for that information to be
of any use.