[RFC] Plane color pipeline KMS uAPI

Harry Wentland harry.wentland at amd.com
Thu May 4 21:10:46 UTC 2023

On 5/4/23 11:22, Simon Ser wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The goal of this RFC is to expose a generic KMS uAPI to configure the color
> pipeline before blending, ie. after a pixel is tapped from a plane's
> framebuffer and before it's blended with other planes. With this new uAPI we
> aim to reduce the battery life impact of color management and HDR on mobile
> devices, to improve performance and to decrease latency by skipping
> composition on the 3D engine. This proposal is the result of discussions at
> the Red Hat HDR hackfest [1] which took place a few days ago. Engineers
> familiar with the AMD, Intel and NVIDIA hardware have participated in the
> discussion.

Thanks for typing this up. It does a great job describing the vision.

> [...]
>
> This new uAPI should not be in conflict with existing standard KMS properties,
> since there are none which control the pre-blending color pipeline at the
> moment. It does conflict with any vendor-specific properties like
> NV_INPUT_COLORSPACE or the patches on the mailing list adding AMD-specific
> properties. Drivers will need to either reject atomic commits configuring both
> uAPIs, or alternatively we could add a DRM client cap which hides the vendor
> properties and shows the new generic properties when enabled.
>
> To use this uAPI, first user-space needs to discover hardware capabilities via
> KMS objects and properties, then user-space can configure the hardware via an
> atomic commit. This works similarly to the existing KMS uAPI, e.g. planes.
>
> Our proposal introduces a new "color_pipeline" plane property, and a new KMS
> object type, "COLOROP" (short for color operation). The "color_pipeline" plane
> property is an enum, each enum entry represents a color pipeline supported by
> the hardware. The special zero entry indicates that the pipeline is in
> "bypass"/"no-op" mode. For instance, the following plane properties describe a
> primary plane with 2 supported pipelines but currently configured in bypass
> mode:
>
>      Plane 10
>      ├─ "type": immutable enum {Overlay, Primary, Cursor} = Primary
>      ├─ …
>      └─ "color_pipeline": enum {0, 42, 52} = 0
>
> The non-zero entries describe color pipelines as a linked list of COLOROP KMS
> objects. The entry value is an object ID pointing to the head of the linked
> list (the first operation in the color pipeline).
>
> The new COLOROP objects also expose a number of KMS properties. Each has a
> type, a reference to the next COLOROP object in the linked list, and other
> type-specific properties. Here is an example for a 1D LUT operation:
>
>      Color operation 42
>      ├─ "type": enum {Bypass, 1D curve} = 1D curve
>      ├─ "1d_curve_type": enum {LUT, sRGB, PQ, BT.709, HLG, …} = LUT
>      ├─ "lut_size": immutable range = 4096
>      ├─ "lut_data": blob
>      └─ "next": immutable color operation ID = 43
>
> To configure this hardware block, user-space can fill a KMS blob with 4096 u32
> entries, then set "lut_data" to the blob ID. Other color operation types might
> have different properties.
>
> Here is another example with a 3D LUT:
>
>      Color operation 42
>      ├─ "type": enum {Bypass, 3D LUT} = 3D LUT
>      ├─ "lut_size": immutable range = 33
>      ├─ "lut_data": blob
>      └─ "next": immutable color operation ID = 43
>
> And one last example with a matrix:
>
>      Color operation 42
>      ├─ "type": enum {Bypass, Matrix} = Matrix
>      ├─ "matrix_data": blob
>      └─ "next": immutable color operation ID = 43
>
> [Simon note: having "Bypass" in the "type" enum, and making "type" mutable is
> a bit weird. Maybe we can just add an "active"/"bypass" boolean property on

I would favor a "bypass" boolean property.

> [Jonas note: perhaps a single "data" property for both LUTs and matrices
> would make more sense. And a "size" prop for both 1D and 3D LUTs.]

I concur. We'll probably want to document for which types a property
applies.

> If some hardware supports re-ordering operations in the color pipeline, the
> driver can expose multiple pipelines with different operation ordering, and
> user-space can pick the ordering it prefers by selecting the right pipeline.
> The same scheme can be used to expose hardware blocks supporting multiple
> precision levels.
>
> That's pretty much all there is to it, but as always the devil is in the
> details.

One such detail that might need some thought is whether the specific
pipeline configuration exposed by a driver becomes uAPI. In theory I
might be breaking use-cases userspace has if I change my color pipeline,
but it would still discoverable and usable if userspace uses the uAPI in
a truly vendor-neutral way.

Thoughts?

> First, we realized that we need a way to indicate where the scaling operation
> is happening. The contents of the framebuffer attached to the plane might be
> scaled up or down depending on the CRTC_W and CRTC_H properties. Depending on
> the colorspace scaling is applied in, the result will be different, so we need
> a way for the kernel to indicate which hardware blocks are pre-scaling, and
> which ones are post-scaling. We introduce a special "scaling" operation type,
> which is part of the pipeline like other operations but serves an informational
> role only (effectively, the operation cannot be configured by user-space, all
> of its properties are immutable). For example:
>
>      Color operation 43
>      ├─ "type": immutable enum {Scaling} = Scaling
>      └─ "next": immutable color operation ID = 44
>
> [Simon note: an alternative would be to split the color pipeline into two, by
> having two plane properties ("color_pipeline_pre_scale" and
> "color_pipeline_post_scale") instead of a single one. This would be similar to
> the way we want to split pre-blending and post-blending. This could be less
> expressive for drivers, there may be hardware where there are dependencies
> between the pre- and post-scaling pipeline?]

I would prefer to avoid splitting the pipeline again. We can't easily
avoid the pre-/post-blending split but for scaling it might be more
straight-forward to add a read-only scaling op. This isn't a strong
preference since I could see either way working out well.

> [...]
> This should help share more infrastructure between compositors and ease KMS
> offloading. This should also help dealing with the NVIDIA case.
>
> To wrap things up, let's take a real-world example: how would gamescope [2]
> configure the AMD DCN 3.0 hardware for its color pipeline? The gamescope color
> pipeline is described in [3]. The AMD DCN 3.0 hardware is described in [4].
>
> AMD would expose the following objects and properties:
>
>      Plane 10
>      ├─ "type": immutable enum {Overlay, Primary, Cursor} = Primary
>      └─ "color_pipeline": enum {0, 42} = 0
>      Color operation 42 (input CSC)
>      ├─ "type": enum {Bypass, Matrix} = Matrix
>      ├─ "matrix_data": blob
>      └─ "next": immutable color operation ID = 43
>      Color operation 43
>      ├─ "type": enum {Scaling} = Scaling
>      └─ "next": immutable color operation ID = 44
>      Color operation 44 (DeGamma)
>      ├─ "type": enum {Bypass, 1D curve} = 1D curve
>      ├─ "1d_curve_type": enum {sRGB, PQ, …} = sRGB
>      └─ "next": immutable color operation ID = 45
>      Color operation 45 (gamut remap)
>      ├─ "type": enum {Bypass, Matrix} = Matrix
>      ├─ "matrix_data": blob
>      └─ "next": immutable color operation ID = 46
>      Color operation 46 (shaper LUT RAM)
>      ├─ "type": enum {Bypass, 1D curve} = 1D curve
>      ├─ "1d_curve_type": enum {LUT} = LUT
>      ├─ "lut_size": immutable range = 4096
>      ├─ "lut_data": blob
>      └─ "next": immutable color operation ID = 47
>      Color operation 47 (3D LUT RAM)
>      ├─ "type": enum {Bypass, 3D LUT} = 3D LUT
>      ├─ "lut_size": immutable range = 17
>      ├─ "lut_data": blob
>      └─ "next": immutable color operation ID = 48
>      Color operation 48 (blend gamma)
>      ├─ "type": enum {Bypass, 1D curve} = 1D curve
>      ├─ "1d_curve_type": enum {LUT, sRGB, PQ, …} = LUT
>      ├─ "lut_size": immutable range = 4096
>      ├─ "lut_data": blob
>      └─ "next": immutable color operation ID = 0
>
> To configure the pipeline for an HDR10 PQ plane (path at the top) and a HDR
> display, gamescope would perform an atomic commit with the following property
> values:
>
>      Plane 10
>      └─ "color_pipeline" = 42
>      Color operation 42 (input CSC)
>      └─ "matrix_data" = PQ → scRGB (TF)
>      Color operation 44 (DeGamma)
>      └─ "type" = Bypass
>      Color operation 45 (gamut remap)
>      └─ "matrix_data" = scRGB (TF) → PQ
>      Color operation 46 (shaper LUT RAM)
>      └─ "lut_data" = PQ → Display native
>      Color operation 47 (3D LUT RAM)
>      └─ "lut_data" = Gamut mapping + tone mapping + night mode
>      Color operation 48 (blend gamma)
>      └─ "1d_curve_type" = PQ
>
> I hope comparing these properties to the diagrams linked above can help
> understand how the uAPI would be used and give an idea of its viability.
>
> Please feel free to provide feedback! It would be especially useful to have
> someone familiar with Arm SoCs look at this, to confirm that this proposal

This is the major gap we have with this proposal, so I hope someone
working on the Arm SoC drivers sees this and can comment.

Again, thanks for typing this up, Simon.

Harry