[RFC] Plane color pipeline KMS uAPI

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Fri May 5 19:51:41 UTC 2023

On Fri, May 05, 2023 at 05:57:37PM +0200, Sebastian Wick wrote:
> [...]
> pipeline on everyone and we explicitly want to avoid that. There are
> just too many trade-offs to consider.
>
> > And not generic in it's ultimate consquence would mean we just do a blob
> > for a crtc with all the vendor register stuff like adf (android display
> > framework) does, because I really don't see a point in trying a
> > generic-looking-but-not vendor uapi with each color op/stage split out.
> >
> > So from very far and pure gut feeling, this seems like a good middle
> > ground in the uapi design space we have here.
>
> Good to hear!
>
> > > We've decided against mirroring the existing CRTC properties
> > > DEGAMMA_LUT/CTM/GAMMA_LUT onto KMS planes. Indeed, the color management
> > > pipeline can significantly differ between vendors and this approach cannot
> > > accurately abstract all hardware. In particular, the availability, ordering and
> > > capabilities of hardware blocks is different on each display engine. So, we've
> > > decided to go for a highly detailed hardware capability discovery.
> > >
> > > This new uAPI should not be in conflict with existing standard KMS properties,
> > > since there are none which control the pre-blending color pipeline at the
> > > moment. It does conflict with any vendor-specific properties like
> > > NV_INPUT_COLORSPACE or the patches on the mailing list adding AMD-specific
> > > properties. Drivers will need to either reject atomic commits configuring both
> > > uAPIs, or alternatively we could add a DRM client cap which hides the vendor
> > > properties and shows the new generic properties when enabled.
> > >
> > > To use this uAPI, first user-space needs to discover hardware capabilities via
> > > KMS objects and properties, then user-space can configure the hardware via an
> > > atomic commit. This works similarly to the existing KMS uAPI, e.g. planes.
> > >
> > > Our proposal introduces a new "color_pipeline" plane property, and a new KMS
> > > object type, "COLOROP" (short for color operation). The "color_pipeline" plane
> > > property is an enum, each enum entry represents a color pipeline supported by
> > > the hardware. The special zero entry indicates that the pipeline is in
> > > "bypass"/"no-op" mode. For instance, the following plane properties describe a
> > > primary plane with 2 supported pipelines but currently configured in bypass
> > > mode:
> > >
> > >     Plane 10
> > >     ├─ "type": immutable enum {Overlay, Primary, Cursor} = Primary
> > >     ├─ …
> > >     └─ "color_pipeline": enum {0, 42, 52} = 0
> >
> > A bit confused, why is this an enum, and not just an immutable prop that
> > points at the first element? You already can disable elements with the
> > bypass thing, also bypassing by changing the pointers to the next node in
> > the graph seems a bit confusing and redundant.
>
> We want to allow multiple pipelines to exist and a plane can choose
> the pipeline by selecting the first element of the pipeline. The enum
> here lists all the possible pipelines that can be attached to the

Ah in that case I guess we do need the flexibility of explicitly
enumerated object property right away I guess. The example looked a bit
like just bypass would do the trick.

> > > The non-zero entries describe color pipelines as a linked list of COLOROP KMS
> > > objects. The entry value is an object ID pointing to the head of the linked
> > > list (the first operation in the color pipeline).
> > >
> > > The new COLOROP objects also expose a number of KMS properties. Each has a
> > > type, a reference to the next COLOROP object in the linked list, and other
> > > type-specific properties. Here is an example for a 1D LUT operation:
> >
> > Ok no comments from me on the actual color operations and semantics of all
> > that, because I have simply nothing to bring to that except confusion :-)
> >
> > Some higher level thoughts instead:
> >
> > - I really like that we just go with graph nodes here. I think that was
> >   bound to happen sooner or later with kms (we almost got there with
> >   writeback, and with hindsight maybe should have).
> >
> > - Since there's other use-cases for graph nodes (maybe scaler modes, or
> >   histogram samplers for adaptive backglight, or blending that goes beyond
> >   the stacked alpha blending we have now) it think we should make this all
> >   fairly generic:
> >   * Add a new graph node kms object type.
> >   * Add a class type so that userspace knows which graph nodes it must
> >     understand for a feature (like "ColorOp" on planes here), and which it
> >     can ignore (like perhaps a scaler node to control the interpolation)
> >   * Probably need to adjust the object property type. Currently that
> >     accept any object of a given type (crtc, fb, blob are the major ones).
> >     I think for these graph nodes we want an explicit enumeration of the
> >     possible next objects. In kms thus far we've done that with the
> >     separate possible_* mask properties, but they're cumbersome.
> >   * It sounds like for now we only have immutable next pointers, so that
> >     would simplify the first iteration, but should probably anticipate all
> >     this.
>
> Just to be clear: right now we don't expect any pipeline to be a graph
> but only linked lists. It probably doesn't hurt to generalize this to
> graphs but that's not what we want to do here (for now).

Oh a list is still a graph :-) Also my idea isn't to model a graph data
structure, but just the graph nodes, and a bit of scaffolding to handle
the links/pointers. Whether you only build a list of a graph out of that
is kinda irrelevant.

Plus with the multiple pipelines you can already have a non-list in the
starting point already.

Cheers, Daniel