Exploring the Need for a Standardized Window Management API within or alongside Wayland

Wayne Sherman wsherman at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 16:39:49 UTC 2023

On Fri, Nov 3, 2023 at 9:33 AM Wayne Sherman wrote:
> Certain applications and workflows...can greatly benefit from having
>  a measure of control over their window geometry and stacking.

There are many use cases for this.  A few of mine are:

Digital Signage
Video outputs on the digital signage "player" computer feed one or
more LED sign controllers and need to be set to specific video modes
(resolution, refresh rate, color depth, etc).  Digital signage
"player" applications have top level windows that need to be placed on
specific video outputs and sized and positioned at specific screen
pixel coordinates for the LED signs to display properly. (LCD digital
signage has similar requirements)

Simple VLC Security Camera Viewer
I want to create a script or simple application that launches 6 VLC
instances which stream video from 6 network connected cameras.  Each
VLC application window has to be sized and positioned to a specific
area of the screen.

Desktop Application Automation
I use a 6-button Stream Deck keypad to automate various tasks.  One of
my buttons is programmed to activate my Google Meet video conference
window (i.e. bring it to the front and put focus on it).  I currently
do this with the X based xdotool utility:  xdotool search --name
'^Meet - .+$' windowactivate