Ways to test Weston during development (Re: Full-motion zero-copy screen capture in Weston)

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Mon Jun 10 15:24:33 UTC 2024

Hi Matt,

On Fri, 7 Jun 2024 at 16:30, Hoosier, Matt <Matt.Hoosier at garmin.com> wrote:
> Okay, makes sense that you don’t want to have to repeat the dependencies’ builds for every CI test. I’m not arguing that you should – it was just more a thought experiment to see whether riding Meson subprojects is a reasonable idea for establishing a development environment.
>
> I get your point that that can become a deep rabbit hole. But it seems that you didn’t have any need to build LLVM and similar just to support the hand-built copy of Mesa that’s in the CI. Is there some reason why a deeper set of transitive dependencies would be needed using Meson subprojects than when building by hand? Seems like I could probably just mimic what you’ve done. Maybe your point is that the CI is a very constrained environment that’s known not to need ATI or llvmpipe, but a general developer situation with physical machines would?

Oh no, the CI environment absolutely needs llvmpipe! We install quite
a few development packages (cf .gitlab-ci/debian-install.sh) into the
CI environment though, so although we don't build LLVM, we do
absolutely depend on distro LLVM development packages which aren't
present in a clean distro install.

You're completely right though that it makes no difference to the
dependency chain whether the dependencies come from Meson subprojects
or previous installs though.

Cheers,
Daniel