Wayland design principles (Re: wayland and gambas)

Carsten Haitzler raster at rasterman.com
Wed May 1 09:29:07 UTC 2024

On Tue, 30 Apr 2024 17:21:41 -0700 Thiago Macieira <thiago at kde.org> said:

> On Monday 29 April 2024 22:23:44 GMT-7 Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> > > There is worry in our community that Wayland is going to take over and x11
> > > will become obsolete.
> >
> > It's inevitable. We're just arguing on timescales (I think Wayland will need
> > more time to mature but it'll get there).
>
> I used to too, but I think we'll see X.org removed from non-LTS distros by
> the end of the decade. At a minimum, I don't see it being offered as a
> default for desktop distros; you'll need to install with Wayland and then
> later switch to X11.

We probably mostly agree here - X will be around for another 5-10y imho in
distros but it'll become an optional extra install towards the end of that. At
some point - maybe in 10-15 it might enter "Xwayland only" mode. But in braod
strokes I think we agree.

> > You might not be, but you may run some app you download from some random
> > place on the internet you THINK is nice (some sodoku game trinket thing)
> > but it's actually trying to steal your banking details... This is only
> > getting worse in a world of snaps/flatpaks ...
>
> And even if most people on this list don't do that, there are people who do.
> I refuse to run proprietary code as much as I can, and when I can't I want it
> to run as a separate user (thus non-graphical) with very strong system
> protections in the systemd .service file.

100%. I also avoid these like the plague wherever I can, but it does not remove
the obligation for us to build a Wayland universe for the long term future than
CAN be sandboxed and apps have limit ability to cause havoc/problems.

Carsten Haitzler - raster at rasterman.com