[xcb] Quick and dirty XCL

Jamey Sharp xcb@nickle.org
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 05:04:54 -0700

On 09/11 04:52AM, Jamey Sharp wrote:
> Have I missed anything important?

I missed at least one thing. Even with the "unexpected reply"
handler, XCB will always capture all events and errors. This is
as it should be, I think. It just means that all Xlib predicated
event handlers need to be re-implemented for XCL. I already have
a few done, though, and XCB has the infrastructure for it.

It also means XCB should be able to handle error packets with a
callback, though if none is provided I think the current
behavior is good.

I suppose the alternative is for XCL to force applications to
choose between exclusively XCB-based or Xlib-based event handling.
If an application chooses the latter, just move all events into
XCL's event queue as soon as possible and keep them there. The
predicated event handlers won't be able to tell the difference.
Maybe for "quick and dirty XCL," this is the better strategy.
--
Jamey Sharp <jamey@sharp.ath.cx> - http://jamey.is.dreaming.org/