[Xcb] Debian packages for X from freedesktop...

Vasquez Vivas, Javier E javier.e.vasquez.vivas at intel.com
Wed Apr 28 08:05:00 EST 2004

Hi !

I read about Debian not continuing including XFree86 beyond 4.3 series (4.4 series and further will have licensing issues).  I understand X.org forked XFree86 4.4 and they have something called a monolithic distribution.  Now it's supposed that freedesktop based upon X.org and other foundations distributes a modularized version of the X, besides much more.  I understood Debian will follow the freedesktop approach and packages are built for that purpose.

At this point I'm installing a Debian system from scratch, and I'd like not to use XFree86 at all and start using freedesktop packages (I know they are at early development, but I want to give it a shot) from the beginning.

When looking for this, I found a mail you sent, and several replies from March regarding the following apt source:

deb http://freedesktop.org/~jamey/debian testing main

I went there and read the contents and the packages, but I'm not used to them (they're not like the XFree86 ones, but of course I didn't expect they were, I just don't know what to install).

So I'd like to know whether what your porting to Debian is the freedesktop modularized version of X (you called your porting XCB I believe).  If so, then I'd like to know whether you have some recommendations on how to make it work from scratch and without any dependency from XFree86, and also on how to switch from XFree86 to this new X in case I decide to do it for an already up system.

Finally, please forgive me if I'm wrong in any of my understandings, and please correct me and provide the correct notions...  If what you're porting is not what I'm looking for, do you have any idea on how to address it?

I'm not in any list, I just found your mail through Google ...  I'm copying the "xcb" list you posted your message to just in case someone else might help out as well...  Please copy me directly for any answers, since I'm not included in any forum or something as mentioned before.

Thanks,