[Xcb] XCB needs more contributors.

Jamey Sharp jamey@minilop.net
Wed, 3 Mar 2004 17:04:43 -0800

--TBNym+cBXeFsS4Vs

On 02/20 04:17PM, ryanm wrote:
> With all the new changes in the X world, if XCB is almost feature
> complete, then now is the time to push to get XCB included in Kdrive
> or an XFree fork.
>=20
> Im interested in following this work, so I hope mailing list quietness
> is not a sign of of development slowdown.

Is XCB ready for use? Almost. It needs early adopters; currently there's
no implementation experience to tell us whether the API is usable. I
added an XCB backend to Cairo, and patched up a Cairo demo app to be
able to use it, but have gotten almost no feedback. Maybe if someone
ported Qt from Xlib to XCB we'd get the implementation experience and
exposure that we need.

Sadly, other things have been keeping me busy [1], and I haven't seen
any signs that others are working on the issues in XCB and the XCB-based
Xlib. We have a fairly comprehensive to-do list [2], and I would love to
see people picking items on that list to tackle; I'll happily answer
whatever questions result. And I firmly believe that even people with no
understanding of X can make contributions toward some of those tasks.

XCB-based Xlib is another matter, which I can comment on in depth if
anyone's interested.

So please: look at the XCB to-do list and see what contributions you can
make, coding or otherwise. I want to see the code I've spent nearly
three years on get used.

Thanks for your interest.

[1] http://minilop.net/onlinenw (not to mention my coursework)
[2] http://freedesktop.org/Software/XCBToDo