[Xcb] some fd.o Debian packages; still really need Xlib/XCB testers

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Fri Mar 19 11:52:25 PST 2004

On 03/19 09:50PM, Vince wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 03:29:50AM -0800, Jamey Sharp wrote:
>
> > Currently available are:
> >  from /cvs/xlibs: fd.o-xau fd.o-xextensions fd.o-xproto fd.o-xtrans
> >  from /cvs/xcb: fd.o-xcb fd.o-xcb-proto
>
> Hmm would it be possible to install headers/libs into subdirectories of
> /usr/{include,lib} rather than directly in them?

To clarify: these packages install headers in /usr/X11R6/include/X11/.
(I think maybe I wanted to put libs in /usr/X11R6/lib, but I guess that
isn't what I actually did...)

Sure, it's possible, but then they wouldn't be in the standard location,
so I'm not really inclined to do that. But:

> That way hopefully you won't have to conflict with xlibs-dev (which I
> don't really want to remove).

A better solution is to create fd.o-xlibs-dev that Provides: xlibs-dev
and Depends: on all of the packages that have the files that are in the
current xlibs-dev. (That requires packaging all the other modules with
all of that stuff in them...) That's on my mental to-do list for this
packaging, but I can't get to it in the next couple of weeks. It would
rock if somebody did though. (hint, hint)

> I'd love to test this out more (I built the code and played with the
> demos a bit a couple of weeks ago),

Cool! How'd it go?

> but if I'm going to install packages I'd rather have the files in
> separate locations, and simply pass --with-xcb=/foo/bar options to
> configure.  Is this feasible? :)

It sounds like, for the moment, your needs are best served by installing
from CVS. :-) Sorry.
--
Jamey Sharp <jamey at minilop.net> - http://minilop.net/