[Xcb] problem when compiling xcb

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Mon Nov 8 11:28:18 PST 2004

On Sat, Nov 06, 2004 at 07:15:44PM -0500, Kevin Brosius wrote:
> Jamey,
>  Yes, that is the problem.

Thanks for the confirmation.

> There are several distro's with a glibc issue with the __thread
> keyword.  I worked around this problem when making some xcb SuSE 9.0
> packages a few weeks ago.  I've meant to propose some workarounds, but
> hadn't gotten to it yet.  There are some notes on using the thread
> info interface in place of __thread to resolve this.

I'd be interested in hearing about workarounds if there's anything
simpler than using pthread_getspecific and friends. I don't think this
assertion is worth having in all builds of XCB if it has to get that
complicated. Since XCB's public API doesn't support registering callback
functions, the only way to re-enter _xcb_conn_wait is inside of Xlib
when built --with-xcb. In fact, I added the assertion because I had
screwed up in Xlib somewhere. Still haven't got that figured out to my
satisfaction...

In the meantime, current CVS makes this assertion a compile-time option,
defaulting to off. So you can define USE_THREAD_ASSERT=1 if you want to
debug Xlib and have a suitable GCC and glibc, but the rest of the time
everything will be OK if you leave it alone.
--
Jamey Sharp <jamey at minilop.net> - http://minilop.net/