[Xcb] SCMS for XCB?

Josh Triplett josh.trip at verizon.net
Wed Aug 3 14:01:11 EST 2005

Barton C Massey wrote:
> What should we be using for source code management with XCB?
>
> I and others here are starting to get pretty fed up with
> cvs.  The alternatives, though, are somewhat tough.  I would
> suggest we just move to svn---but do we really want to do a
> second move when someone finally builds us a decent open
> SCMS with distributed changeset support?  Also, is a
> reasonable ASCII repository format a requirement?
>
> What do *you* all think?

Personally, I think someone *has* built us a decent open SCMS with
distributed changeset support, *and* a reasonable ASCII repository
format, along with many other good features.  Check out bazaar
<http://bazaar.canonical.com>.  It's an implementation of the arch
protocol and repository format, but the user interface is vastly
improved over tla (the original arch interface by Tom Lord).  Whereas
tla is gratuitously different from CVS and other version control systems
even in areas of common functionality (tla init-tree, tla changes
--diffs, umpteen commands for merging, etc), Bazaar strives to be as
similar as possible to existing systems such as CVS except in areas of
new functionality (baz add, baz commit, baz diff, baz import -a), and as
intuitive as possible otherwise (baz undo, baz redo, baz branch, baz merge).

See http://usefulinc.com/edd/blog/contents/2005/05/04-bazaar/read for a
good introduction to the inital setup and everyday operations of bazaar.
 For information about maintaining a standard central repository, see
http://wiki.gnuarch.org/Centralized%20Development ; note that that page
was written with tla in mind, but it still applies to bazaar as well.
The POSIX ACL approach seems the easiest, as we already use that for
maintaining appropriate permissions to the XCB website.  We can keep the
central repository on xcb.freedesktop.org ; everyone in the xcb group
already has read/write permission there.

Regarding the repository format, it's all source and diffs (some wrapped
in tarballs), with no binaries anywhere.

I've been using Bazaar for quite some time, to manage everything from
programs for fd.o to projects for classes to personal documents.

- Josh Triplett