[Xcb] Ideal event handling

Barton C Massey bart at cs.pdx.edu
Tue Aug 9 18:25:05 EST 2005

I'll respond with 30 seconds of thought to your 17 hours of
musings---it's late and I have an early meeting
tomorrow. :-)

Another way to look at what Travis/GDK timestamps and the X
error association cases want is this: A bunch of things in X
that probably should be replies to requests are instead
asynchronous events or errors.  I think this is because of
X's hard constraint that replies must be delivered in
request order.

It might be reasonable to allow some special kind of XCB
requests for specific cases, whose response cookie is in
fact a cookie that will match a particular X event.  It
might also be reasonable to have any forced cookie
potentially return an X error at that point (but don't we
already do this?).

I think most of the machinery to make this work is already
in XCB (although it would need some analysis).  This
mechanism *might* provide a clean separation between events
that are generated in response to requests
(e.g. ClearRectangle) and events that are external and thus
truly asynchronous.

None of this handles the pointer event collapse case, of
course.  I think Jamey has the right idea about this one.

Thoughts and comments?

	Bart

In message <1123571096.10370.325.camel at id.minilop.net> you wrote:
> Travis asked a simple question about how to port code using XIfEvent to
> XCB, and here I'm about to try to explain exactly how I think event
> handling should work in X apps generally. I got bogged down for a while
> in details of Gdk's implementation, so lets start by speaking completely
> generically.
>
> Xlib exposes to callers the presence of an event queue, allowing
> operations like XIfEvent that traverse the entire queue looking for an
> event matching a particular set of criteria. Although XCB also has a
> queue of events internally, it does not expose that queue publicly:
> callers can only remove the first available event, in either a blocking
> or non-blocking mode. [1] We expect this decision to allow us some
> implementation flexibility later.
>
> The simplest strategy for porting Xlib code that relies on the event
> queue is to write your own event queue that supports the searching
> operations you need. Given a trivial linked list implementation, these
> operations are really easy to write, so this part of a porting effort
won't take long. I hope you can guess by now that I don't think this is