[Xcb] Tasks required in order to fix XCB-based Xlib

Josh Triplett josh.trip@verizon.net
Fri Jan 28 17:25:19 PST 2005

Barton C Massey wrote:
> In message <41F8A3AD.7020200@verizon.net> you wrote:
>>First, there was a minor change to the pkg-config scripts of xcb-proto,
>>involving the method used to find the protocol descriptions.  The old
>>method parsed the CFLAGS and looked for -I flags; the new method just
>>supplies the path to the protocol descriptions as "xcbincludedir".  (For
>>consistency with automake, perhaps this should be called
>>"pkgincludedir"?)  This would be a five-minute makefile/configure.ac change.
>
> Excellent.  Please do.
>
>>The far bigger issue is that of the M4 macros and M4 wrapper definitions
>>used in the Xlib build in order to autogenerate wrappers around many XCB
>>protocol functions.
>
> [...]
>
>>Another possible solution would be to grab the last M4 definitions, run
>>them through the existing Xlib M4 macros, and commit that to the Xlib
>>repository.  This would be the fastest fix to get things unbroken, and
>>might still be useful even if we go with the above solution, but it may
>>be less than ideal in the long run.
>
> Yes, please do this.  Hopefully there isn't a "long run" for
> Xlib/XCB: if there is, then we can always backport using
> XSLT on the existing XML descriptions or something.

Done.  Could someone with commit access to xlibs please:
* Apply the patch at <http://freedesktop.org/~josh/fix-xcb-xlibs.patch>.
* Copy the file <http://freedesktop.org/~josh/proto.c> to src/xcl .
* cvs add src/xcl/proto.c
* cvs rm -f src/xcl/.cvsignore

Thanks.

> Any investigation on passing the test suite?  Or are we too
> far from a once-again working version yet?

kem pointed me towards http://wiki.x.org/wiki/XorgTesting .  This looks
like the easiest solution; the version of the test suite pointed to on
that page includes a script that automatically runs the test suite
against xvfb.  However, the test suite will only pass against xvfb using
the latest Xorg 6.8.2 .

- Josh Triplett