[Xcb] xcb and xlib events

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Fri Jul 22 15:24:50 EST 2005

On Mon, 2005-07-11 at 10:22 +0200, Vincent Torri wrote:
> Hello,

Hi Vincent!

> In ecore event loop, when i use xlib port, for a program, I have this
> sequence of events during the event loop :
>
> 8 ProperNotify events
> 2 Expose events
> 1 ProperNotify event
> etc...
>
> But when I use the xcb port, I get the sequence of events:
>
> 8 ProperNotify events
>
> So, is it normal ? Do you think it could be a bug in xcb ?

It could mean XCB is just a little faster than Xlib. ;-)

The real question is whether those Expose events, etc., show up if you
run the loop again a little while later. If you never, ever get them,
and your XCB-using code makes pretty much the same sequence of requests
as the Xlib-using code, then I suppose it could be an XCB bug.

You can tell by using either xscope or ethereal to watch the responses
coming back from the X server. That may tell you that those Expose
events aren't actually being sent to your XCB-based code. Then you might
ask why not...

Hope that helps.

--Jamey