[Xcb] xprint

Jeremy A. Kolb jkolb at brandeis.edu
Tue Jul 26 13:10:10 EST 2005

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005, Jamey Sharp wrote:

> On Mon, 2005-07-25 at 15:56 -0400, Jeremy Kolb wrote:
> > Quoting Jamey Sharp <jamey at minilop.net>:
> > > So Jeremy, you don't have to worry about padding anywhere before lists
> >
> > Jamey, the problem is that there's padding between lists in both requests and
> > replies.  So we have...
> >
> > list of data
> > padding
> > list of data
> >
> > Is that okay as it's before the second list?
>
> I was trying to say that padding for natural alignment is inserted
> before every list, yes.
>
> > The other thing is we have this
> > occuring in at least one struct as well which if I recall correctly we don't
> > support yet.
>
> Yeah, I still don't have an answer for that. That protocol fundamentally
> requires iterators, which XCB only provides for lists (because anything
> else would be silly). If you can recast that structure as a list then
> it'll work. The API will be crazy though.
>
> There's some sort of generalization that should happen in both the XML
> descriptions and the C API, that would make this just work. I don't know
> what that would look like yet though.
>
> I noticed that you use the STRING8 type all over, too. AFAICT that type
> is not declared anywhere in XCB, though I vaguely remember that it's
> specified by the core protocol documentation. I don't know why XCB
> doesn't have it: maybe you could check why, and suggest a fix?
>
> --Jamey

Hm.  So in the description for the list/pad/lists I can just leave out the
pad tag and xcb will automagically take care of it for me? That doesn't
sound right.  I'm probably misunderstanding you.

As for the STRING8 I had it in the client.xsd file but then decided to
typedef it.  I will see if I can add it again as it's in a few specs.

Jeremy