[Xcb] icccm

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Sun Mar 20 14:15:23 PST 2005

On Sun, Mar 20, 2005 at 04:01:06PM -0500, Kevin Brosius wrote:
> Yes.  This is the general direction we're headed with evas and ecore, I
> think.  These two libs are the core xlib using libraries for new
> enlightenment development.  Evas focuses on drawing and canvas
> operations, while ecore leans toward the window creation, management,
> communications, etc (that's really a broad swipe.)  It's great to see
> the evas progress Vincent!

Thanks for the explanation. What's a canvas library doing with ICCCM
though?

> We've had a couple short discussions about architecture and you point
> out the major benefit of XCB we hope to get to, Jamey.  If responses can
> be tied to an expected response queue (I'm guessing), then Sync's can be
> largely avoided, or at least not block in all cases.  We'll have to see
> how it goes. :)

Sure, you can queue the reply cookies that XCB gives you. If you can be
certain that you enqueue them in the order that XCB produces them, then
they'll be in the same order as the returning replies, so you can
minimize latency there. That's an easy invariant to maintain as long as
you have one queue per thread (which is obviously true if you're
single-threaded).

I look forward to hearing how this goes!

--Jamey