[Xcb] Extension versions

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Wed Mar 23 10:38:52 PST 2005

On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 01:17:44PM -0500, Jeremy Kolb wrote:
> In xlib it is possible to get the server side version of an extension.
> Is there anyway to do this in xcb?  It looks to me like you have to call
>  the QueryVersion associated with the extension, pass in what you
> believe to be the version and pray that it works.  Is there a reply that
> gets the highest supported version by the server?

The usual X way of doing things is you tell the server the highest
version you're able to use, and it tells you the highest version that
both you and it support. This seems sensible to me: the only time I can
imagine it being useful to ask for "no, really, what's the *best* you
can do?" is if you're just going to display the answer to a human. What
else can you do with it?

--Jamey