[Xcb] question about atoms

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Thu May 5 12:50:54 PDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-05-05 at 21:07 +0200, Vincent Torri wrote:
> hello,

Hi Vincent!

> in Xlib, AnyPropertyType defines a atom which value is 0. But in
> xcb_atoms, there is not such an atom. Jamey, is it normal ?

Um...

Well, technically, there is no atom 0; that's why it doesn't appear in
xcb_atoms. But in some places you're allowed to specify an atom value of
0, so Xlib provides a name for it.

XCB doesn't currently make it easy to deal with these special zero
values. (They appear in other places in the protocol, not just for
atoms.) I'd appreciate suggestions on how to fit these cases into XCB's
type system, since C doesn't have Nickle's ability to handle structure
literals. :-)  Bart? Keith?

In the meantime, I guess you should declare these sorts of values as you
need them:

	XCBATOM AnyPropertyType = { 0 };

--Jamey