[Xcb] Region

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Tue May 31 14:16:11 PDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 22:42 +0200, Vincent Torri wrote:
> ok, so, i'll write this Region stuff. Arg ! Each time i port some ecore
> file, i need something new in xcb :/

Heh, yeah. People have built an awful lot of Xlib-based infrastructure
over the last two decades. We XCB developers have some typing ahead of
us. At least the region code should be an easy case.

> On Tue, 31 May 2005, Jamey Sharp wrote:
> > Unfortunately the Cairo folks merged the software implementation of
> > Render together with the region code into one library, so libpixman
> > still isn't a minimal region implementation. On the other hand, I
> > suppose people who want ecore also want Cairo, so they should have
> > libpixman installed anyway. :-)
>
> we don't want cairo. It's too slow.

/me boggles.

OK, I know it's been a few years since I've run Enlightenment, but isn't
that kind of like the pot calling the kettle black? And that aside,
Cairo is only "slow" now: with the recent API changes settled in, I
assume the Cairo folks will be focusing mostly on performance over the
next few months in preparation for their 1.0 release. I mean, heck, you
know about the performance of Glitz and everything, don't you?

Please tell me you folks have a better reason for not wanting Cairo than
"it's too slow."

--Jamey