[Xcb] Status of XCB and howto begin

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Fri Feb 3 15:37:21 PST 2006

On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 11:16:07PM +0100, Alexander Botero wrote:
> 1) Is this (xcb) project vivid and active?

XCB development is bursty, mostly because I do most of the work on the
core code and sometimes I go off and work on other projects for a while
instead. However we are making forward progress, and I have some hope
that XCB and Xlib/XCB can be included in the X.org 7.1 release, whenever
that happens.

> 2) I would like to test your xcb (xlib replacement), but how to start?

First, I hope you understand that XCB itself is not API-compatible with
Xlib, but the Xlib/XCB work exists to provide a drop-in replacement for
Xlib that provides a migration path. So testing XCB itself means either
running our demo applications, or writing some of your own -- which we'd
be happy to help you with.

> Unfortunately, I do not fully understand howto install the various parts.
>
> I have read the
> http://xcb.freedesktop.org/wiki/
>
> and have installed all
> pkgconfig 0.15.0,  automake 1.7,  autoconf 2.50,  libtool 1.5.6,  xsltproc,
> gperf 3.0.1
>
> aclocal: configure.ac: 14: macro `AM_PATH_CHECK' not found in library
>
> My distro is Ubuntu 5.10 (X86 32 bit)

You should be almost set: you only missed the dependency on 'check'. On
stock Debian testing I can just `apt-get install check`, and I imagine
Ubuntu has a similar package as well.

--Jamey