[Xcb] Status of XCB and howto begin

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Thu Feb 9 00:41:50 PST 2006

On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 11:55:39PM +0100, Bernardo Innocenti wrote:
> Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> > Bernardo Innocenti wrote:
> >> Mesa already implements visibility portably for several
> >> compilers.  Maybe you could just copy the idea from there.
> >
> > Or just use the visibility defines already included in <X11/Xfuncproto.h>
> > in Xorg 6.9 and later.

I'm looking at the copy in
	http://cvs.freedesktop.org/xorg/proto/X11/Xfuncproto.h.in?view=markup
in case anyone else wants to follow along. I didn't know Sun Studio had
similar visibility features.

Do we have anyone testing XCB on Solaris these days? This would be a
very good time to have some of that portability testing happening. I've
built XCB and Xlib/XCB on various Sparc Solaris machines around here
from time to time, but I bet stuff has bitrotted.

> Oops, didn't notice they were already there.  To accomodate MSVC
> model, each library should have a distinct set of macros like these.

Are you suggesting we should copy/paste these definitions in XCB?

> This is because functions need to be flagged "__declspec(dllexport)"
> in the library declaring them and "__declspec(dllimport)" elsewhere.

Since I *am* vaguely interested in seeing people test XCB on Windows,
I'm curious about these sorts of issues. I don't suppose anyone wants to
try putting together a Windows build of XCB?

> The gain was also not that interesting: only 20-30% of the global
> symbols were not meant to be public.

Are you counting things declared in Xlibint.h as "not meant to be
public"? It's a little too late for those. My impression from the code
reading I've done is that nearly everything else is either meant to be
public or is declared static.

> So we could just leave libX11 in peace and hope in a few years
> it will be replaced by XCB for most applications.

I have to touch Xlib to port it to use XCB underneath, but I am trying
to leave it alone as much as possible, and we think other people should
do the same. :-)

--Jamey