[Xcb] another "no rule to make target `xproto.c'"

Josh Triplett josh at freedesktop.org
Thu Jul 6 00:34:15 PDT 2006

Alex A. Schmidt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This topic "No rule to make target `xproto.c'" has been addressed before in
> this mailing-list by Josh Triplett and Neil Dokkalfar back in nov/2004,
> but their discussion about it is not helping me. I getting the same:
>
> make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/local/software_dependencies/libxcb-0.9/src'
> make[1]: *** No rule to make target `xproto.c', needed by `all'.  Stop.
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/software_dependencies/libxcb-0.9/src'
> make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

Did you give any arguments to configure?

Did you run configure from the source directory, or from a separate
build directory?  (Both should work.)

Can you provide the output of the following commands?

pkg-config --variable=xcbincludedir xcb-proto
ls -lR /usr/local/include/X11/XCB
cd /usr/local/software_dependencies/libxcb-0.9/src && make xproto.c
grep -C4 xproto /usr/local/software_dependencies/libxcb-0.9/src/Makefile

- Josh Triplett