[Xcb] libX11 release

Donnie Berkholz spyderous at gentoo.org
Tue Jun 6 16:31:25 PDT 2006

Jamey Sharp wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 06, 2006 at 08:40:34AM -0700, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
>> Jamey Sharp wrote:
>> How would it work for you if we branched off the current libX11 master
>> HEAD and turned XCB off by default?
>
> No, really, either use the stable branch or ship with XCB.
>
>> Perhaps the use of deprecated functions could be fixed before a
>> release, that would prevent breakage even though it would ship with
>> some other known bugs.
>
> Yeah, I should do that anyway. :-)

So once these deprecated functions are removed, how's Xlib/XCB stand
compared to standard Xlib? Is it equal to or better than, or do the
remaining bugs make it less capable?

I'd be happy to see an Xlib/XCB release with known bugs that is still at
least as good as the last Xlib release.

>>> But the big thing we're waiting for is testing from a wider audience.
>>> ... So maybe I should be encouraging you to ship Xlib/XCB and the 0.9
>>> release of XCB in Gentoo for a while?
>> I would, but what's the point unless we're also able to ship a version
>> of libX11 that supports it (thus a release from master branch)?
>
> I said both "Xlib/XCB and the 0.9 release"... :-)

Somehow I blocked out the first part of that since, ya know, it doesn't
exist yet. I'll be glad to ship as soon as there's a release _to_ ship.
I've already got everything packaged in my local repo.

Thanks,
Donnie