[Xcb] libX11 release

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Tue Jun 6 21:50:34 PDT 2006

On Tue, Jun 06, 2006 at 04:31:25PM -0700, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
> So once these deprecated functions are removed, how's Xlib/XCB stand
> compared to standard Xlib? Is it equal to or better than, or do the
> remaining bugs make it less capable?

The correct answer is a little complicated; see below. The short answer,
to my surprise, is that I think we could get away with an Xlib/XCB
release immediately after fixing the deprecated calls.

> I'd be happy to see an Xlib/XCB release with known bugs that is still at
> least as good as the last Xlib release.

Huh. I forgot I'd fixed the major blocker for such a release already
(#5839). The two other things that come to mind are that XCB doesn't
handle 32-bit sequence number wraps currently (#6798), so Xlib/XCB will
die on an XCB assertion failure after four billion requests (but that
takes a while); and the X.org 6.8 server GLX bug isn't worked around
yet. I guess neither of those is a blocker for an Xlib release.

Due to bug #7035, Xlib/XCB isn't actually usable for transitioning to
XCB right now. I think that will be easy to fix but the work has yet to
be done. Again, not a blocker for a strict Xlib replacement.

Removing one of the uses of a deprecated function is a little tricky.
Maybe Josh and I will have an opportunity to hack on it tomorrow.

The most helpful thing people could do to make Xlib/XCB replace
traditional Xlib, by the way, is to start running the X Test Suite
against the GIT libX11 'master' branch compiled both --with-xcb and
--without-xcb, and report how the results compare. Obviously,
smoke-testing it on your desktop is helpful too.

--Jamey