[Xcb] Re: Xserver/XCB

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Mon Mar 6 16:00:59 PST 2006

Hello John! I haven't quoted or replied to most of your message here
because I don't think I can add much to it. I look forward to seeing
what you put together though.

On Mon, Mar 06, 2006 at 02:28:06PM -0800, John Davidorff Pell wrote:
> I guess my question was: Does XCB have C code for these events? i.e.
> could I link my server against libxcb.dylib and then call
> XCBPropertyNotify(window, atom, state, time) ?

Oh, I see. No, it doesn't: you'll need to do your own code generation
for that.

> While comparing the X protocol spec against xproto.xml, xproto.h, and
> xproto.c I have a significant question.
> The protocol says:
> xproto.xml has "BOOL _delete" first. The reply has format first, but
> the spec as it second.
>
> The on-wire-communication is obviously what I need to support, but is
> this possible building from only the X spec??

There are two parts to the core protocol specification: the semantics,
and the wire protocol. The latter is given in an appendix, and that's
what you want to read.

--Jamey