[Xcb] what has happended with git ?

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Tue Mar 14 19:02:55 PST 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-14 at 14:40 -0800, Jamey Sharp wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 08:35:48AM -0800, Keith Packard wrote:
> > The only thing which will have been broken by this are the references,
> > which can easily be fixed by someone repairing their local repository
> > and pushing the references to the server. No need for privileged access
> > to the repository at all.
>
> Well, you say that... I've just been poring over the git documentation
> and I don't see any command that will let me delete a head that's
> supposed to exist in my local repo but not on the server.

yeah, that's true enough. Deleting things isn't one of git's big
plusses.

> I did find confirmation that the remote repo isn't supposed to contain
> origin:

That's certainly true; 'origin' is mapped from 'master' in the default
remotes configuration, take a look at .git/remotes/origin. In this file,
remote heads are mapped to local names so you can have a local 'master'
branch and also track the remote 'master' as it gets remapped to
'origin'.

However, the extraneous remote head is harmless as this same
configuration says that you would never even try to fetch the remote
'origin' branch -- only the branches listed in the remotes file are
fetched, so the remote 'origin' branch will never appear in your local
repository unless you added a line to that remotes file to request it.

keith.packard at intel.com