[Xcb] Re: Branch 'xspec' - xcb-proto

Jeremy A. Kolb jkolb at brandeis.edu
Wed Mar 15 13:20:04 PST 2006

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006, Alp Toker wrote:

> Jamey Sharp wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 15, 2006 at 12:01:19PM -0500, Jeremy A. Kolb wrote:
> >> onnoff is the name given in the headers,  Since we want to be true to the
> >> protocol shouldn't this name remain unchanged?
> >
> > Yes. The XML files are supposed to be a representation of the wire
> > protocol: if a particular binding, like XCB or XNB, needs different
> > naming conventions etc. it's expected to provide them in its code
> > generator.
>
> The string "onoff" is never sent down the wire. A boolean value is sent,
> and that boolean value describes whether event notification is enabled.
> "enabled" seems to be an accurate description of the field while "onoff"
> looks like a mistake in the spec. I have a more complete justification
> in my previous message. If I'm missing the point here, would be quite
> willing to revert the change.

I still think that if we are documenting the protocol then we need to
stick to it.  In the case where there are no proto docs and only header
files (most of the extensions) we may be able to change the names, though
it is certainly possible that since we do not have access to the docs we
don't actually know what certain fields are for.  We're eventually going
to have to assign meaning to a lot of request/replies.

> I'm working on identifying patterns to simplify bitmasks and valueparams
> right now. Replacing the union element with something closer to the
> desired type model is on my todo list; any extension is free to create a
> new xid type that is also a Drawable, and unions, while they might be a
> handy way of representing that relation in C, are certainly not what the
> X11 protocol specs have in mind and don't seem to belong in a protocol
> description. It just doesn't click.

I'm all for changing the xml format, but if we start changing names etc.
in one branch then we might have a big mess on our hands when we merge
branches.  I know I've made a few changes that may not be reflected in
your tree and vice versa.  It's going to be hard to remember what's been
changed.

Jeremy