[Xcb] Bug 6254: remove XCB's xproto/X11 dependency

Wed Mar 15 14:11:28 PST 2006

Ian Osgood wrote:

> What is the canonical source for the X protocol definition?

The protocol specs distributed by X.Org - see xc/doc/specs in the monolithic
source tree or doc/xorg-docs/specs in the modular tree for the raw sources
(mostly in troff format), or the hardcopy directories in the same places for
Postscript versions.    (X.Org has had an interest in getting these converted
to something modern & open, such as DocBook XML, for a while, but no one has
volunteered yet to do the conversion work and the tedious job of checking
the results are correct.)

> I've been working from a combination of X.org
> headers and comments, and http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1013.txt from  1987
> which I found linked from Wikipedia.

RFC 1013 is entirely obsolete.   (I hadn't even known there was an RFC
until recently.)

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com