[Xcb] Bug 6254: remove XCB's xproto/X11 dependency

Russell Shaw rjshaw at netspace.net.au
Wed Mar 15 17:15:01 PST 2006

Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Mar 2006, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
>
>>Postscript versions.    (X.Org has had an interest in getting these converted
>>to something modern & open, such as DocBook XML, for a while, but no one has
>>volunteered yet to do the conversion work and the tedious job of checking
>>the results are correct.)
>
> I am curious: Is there any monetary value in doing this? (Would anyone
> purchase printed book versions of this to financially offset the time
> involved?)

I've converted the xkb docs from Filemaker to Docbook xml and can generate
output that has all the hundreds of API funcs displayed on one web page so
you can browse between them like http://tronche.com/gui/x/xlib/function-index.html

It took a week to do the conversion by hand, but the original docs are unclear
how most of the xkb api is used, so a lot of the text in the manual needs grouping
with the relevant functions. It's currently a bit of a jumble. After all that, i'm
currently only using XkbLookupKeySym(). The only way i'll finish it is the next
time i need more detailed functionality from xkb and spend more hours deciphering
the manual.

The biggest motivation for doc conversions is users needing it. It just seems there's
very few low-level Xlib and related users.