[Xcb] new library for pthread stub functions

Josh Triplett josh at freedesktop.org
Wed Nov 22 16:26:41 PST 2006

Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 November 2006 23:06, Josh Triplett wrote:
>> Thus, we force every program to do something
>> slightly different for the static and non-static case, and we don't have
>> any way of expressing that in pkg-config.
> Actually pkg-config do just that when using .private values:
>
> flame at enterprise ~ % pkg-config --static --libs x11
> -lX11 -lpthread -lXau -lXdmcp
> flame at enterprise ~ % pkg-config --libs x11
> -lX11
>
> when linking to libpthread (or to libthr for FreeBSD) the weak symbols get
> replaced by the non-weak symbols, and that should be it.

Except that just as in the dynamic case, we want programs to have the option
of not linking with pthread, and using the stubs instead.  However, we also
don't want to force programs to explicitly link to libpthread-stubs.a if they
don't use threads; that seems like an annoying requirement to impose,
particularly since we can't express it in pkg-config.

- Josh Triplett