[Xcb] Assertion in VMWare, Sun JRE 1.5

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Sun Nov 26 22:47:40 PST 2006

On Sun, Nov 26, 2006 at 09:06:49PM -0800, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
> I've mentioned this to Jamey previously, but I'm hitting another
> assertion that's preventing me from using the (free as in beer) VMWare
> Server, because I can't start the remote console. Today, someone else
> posted at
> http://planet.gentoo.org/developers/betelgeuse/2006/11/26/do_not_turn_on_the_xcb
> _use_flag_if_you_p_5
> that he sees the same issue in Sun's 1.5 JRE.

Are your extension libraries up-to-date? We've fixed these sorts of
issues in five libraries: libXcomposite, libXrandr, libXi, libXdamage,
and libXfixes -- plus some cases in libX11 itself. The Sun JDK 1.5 issue
was solved by fixing libXi; VMWare may be just hitting another of these.

libXi has one of the three fixes it needed in the most recent release
tarball, but the other two are only on master; for all the other
libraries, the release tarballs have the needed fixes.

Josh and I gathered up references to the relevant commits last night in
these Debian bug reports:
http://bugs.debian.org/400440
http://bugs.debian.org/400441
http://bugs.debian.org/400442
http://bugs.debian.org/400445
http://bugs.debian.org/400446

If after updating those libraries VMWare is still broken, please file a
bug and provide a backtrace.

Also Donnie, can you make sure that your packaging of libX11 conflicts
with the older, buggy extension libraries, so that people upgrade? I
dunno how that works in Gentoo. For Debian we're just going to add
versioned Conflicts: headers once the fixed packages are available.

--Jamey