[Xcb] no more *_new functions

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Thu Oct 12 13:27:29 PDT 2006

On Tue, Oct 10, 2006 at 04:16:45PM -0400, Jeremy A. Kolb wrote:
> With the xcb_generate_id it would be easier for a newb to go "oh it
> accepts a window. I'll do foo(win)" and totally miss that he has to
> initialize it.
>
> xcb_generate_id works but if we use xcb_xidtype_new it stands out a little
> more and the user might see it and go 'holy crap i need to initialize this
> object before i use it'.

I still don't understand your reasons, and I don't think you addressed
my counter-arguments. While Ian had some "devil's advocate" arguments
for putting the _new functions back, he and Josh and I are not inclined
to do that. I think it's actually a bad idea. If you or others can
convince us otherwise, we can certainly add these back later: it's an
API addition, so it's backwards compatible.

> It might also map well to a higher level language port of xcb.

The information is still available in the XML protocol descriptions. I
certainly hope that higher-level languages will take advantage of their
type systems where possible, and use object constructors or whatever.
But they can do that without the C binding having _new functions.

--Jamey