[Xcb] XCB assertion error on X close

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Sat Oct 14 21:33:36 PDT 2006

On Tue, Oct 10, 2006 at 09:52:49AM -0700, Eric Anholt wrote:
> I've been working on a new system with a fresh jhbuild of xorg as of
> yesterday and no .xinitrc (default twm/3-xterm session), and when I did
> ^C of the "jhbuild run startx" I'd just run, I got an XCB assertion
> failure:
>
> twm: xcb_lock.c:59: _XGetXCBBuffer: Assertion `((int) ((xcb_req) -
> (dpy->request)) >= 0)' failed.
>
> I don't think I've reproduced it since then.  Just a note that this
> assertion has been hit at least once.

I'd seen this in various apps sometimes too, but hadn't tracked it down
yet: thanks for prodding me. I just debugged it by the technique of
"sudden insight": I forgot to check for I/O errors in _XGetXCBBuffer.

I can reproduce the bug mostly consistently by running xev and hitting
Alt-F4 soon after. After adding an appropriate error check, I can't
reproduce the bug anymore. I'm calling it fixed. :-)

If anyone sees this assertion failure while running the newly-fixed
version of libX11, I'd still like to hear about it.

--Jamey