[Xcb] XHSB and Google Summer of Code

Spencer Janssen sjanssen at cse.unl.edu
Mon Mar 26 12:53:21 PDT 2007

In the process of writing a window manager in Haskell [1], I have
realized that Haskell's X support is quite lacking.  XHSB was
recently pointed out on the libraries at haskell.org mailing list, and
since then I have been investigating XCB as the base for a possible
replacement.

XHSB has some real potential.  XCB's asynchronous interface fits well
with Haskell's lazy evaluation -- the library can expose an API that
appears synchronous to the programmer, but is actually asynchronous
under the hood.

I am submitting a Summer of Code proposal to finish XHSB.  I'd
appreciate any feedback, especially from interested mentors!

Cheers,
Spencer Janssen

[1] darcs get http://darcs.haskell.org/~sjanssen/xmonad
It is a lightweight window manager that is very similar to dwm.
Disclaimer: it is unreleased software, and is known to have a few
defects at the moment.