[Xcb] Prototype x11perf/xcb up

Barton C Massey bart at cs.pdx.edu
Tue Nov 6 19:55:05 PST 2007

You can find my prototype x11perf/xcb at
  people.freedesktop.org/~bart/git/x11perf.git
  people.freedesktop.org/~bart/git/util.git
Any of git+ssh, git, or http should work at this
point---thanks Jamey!

If you hack up the Makefile a bit, you can build and run
  x11perf -dot
and it seems to more or less work.

At this point, I would strongly encourage others to

  * Finish recoding the remaining x11perf tests.  I
    haven't tested the code in bitmaps.c yet, so there
    may be some adventures there.

  * Merge the x11perf repo into xcb/examples, or otherwise
    figure out a sensible way for it to coexist with the
    Xlib x11perf.

  * Check out the changes I've made in xcb/util, and
    merge them back into the core repository where
    appropriate.

  * In particular, I've got this cool new plan for wacky
    param structures such as gcvalues.  It's compatible with
    the existing aux stuff, and is pretty clean and
    non-error-prone.  Check it out and let me know what you
    think: look for XCB_AUX_ADD_PARAM macro calls in the
    sources.

  * Big empty hole: Someone needs to recode most of xcb/util
    to work with Plan 7.  In particular, checked and unchecked
    alternatives need to be coded for everything.  There
    should probably be some sensible plan for this.  For
    now, I've just copy-and-pasted checked versions of the
    couple of things out of util/convenient that I needed.

  * We should also look at asynchrony and latency hiding in
    xcb/util.

I haven't heard confirmation of folks' plans to attend the
util IRC meeting this coming Saturday 1100 PST 1900 UTC.  If
interested folks could RSVP at this point, it would be
appreciated.

    Bart