[Xcb] Why is my XCB program calling GetInputFocus?

Barton C Massey bart at cs.pdx.edu
Sat Oct 27 11:45:00 PDT 2007

In message <1193453140.18818.49.camel at koto.keithp.com> you wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-10-26 at 21:43 -0400, Eamon Walsh wrote:
> > Is that being used to sync?
>
> Uh, yeah, it's kinda a common request to use; xlib and xcb both use it
> for synchronizing the protocol. You're going to have to make this work;
> every client on the planet probably uses it. I know the 'don't lie'
> plans for this stuff, but I don't know what else you can do here.

You could define a server extension for syncing the
protocol, or add a request to an existing extension; we'd be
happy to make XCB use it where available.  Or, as you say,
we could try to make an error return work, although
obviously I'm less excited about that.

But as Keithp points out, legacy applications are always
going to lose if you don't allow them to complete random
GetInputFocus requests.

It would have been nice if there had been a pure "no-op with
reply" in the core protocol for this purpose, but sadly
there is none.

	Bart