[Xcb] [patch] remove python 2.5 dependency

Eamon Walsh ewalsh at tycho.nsa.gov
Thu Aug 14 11:48:37 PDT 2008

George Wright wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Attached is a small patch that should remove the python 2.5 dependency and
> allow it to work with python 2.3.
>
> Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Hi, has this been tested?  When I looked into this, I found some other
2.5 dependencies besides the ternary operator fixed by this patch.  The
one that is non-trivial is that the xml.etree.cElementTree package is
only shipped with Python starting with 2.5 [1].

But really, I think the larger issue here is that the current libxcb
package requires the user to build the source on their machine, by
running what used to be a stylesheet and what now is a Python script.  I
think it would be a lot more convenient to users if "built-source"
libxcb packages were distributed that only contain the generated source
code and do not require them to run the parser.  Most users just want
the library, they don't want to play with the XML proto descriptions.

[1] http://effbot.org/zone/celementtree.htm

--
Eamon Walsh <ewalsh at tycho.nsa.gov>
National Security Agency