[Xcb] Question about XML spec, and QueryExtension

Peter Harris peter.harris at hummingbird.com
Mon Aug 25 07:07:01 PDT 2008

Antoine Latter wrote:
> The XCB xproto.h doesn't include the padding either - and it's used
> extensively in xcb_ext.c, which makes me think that if QueryExtension
> were broken extensions in general would be broken.
>
> Am I missing something here?  Presumably extensions work in XCB.

There is a bug in the XML (missing padding), but the C compiler
fortuitously papers-over the bug by automatically aligning the
structure. Not all C compilers do this, so the bug needs to be fixed
regardless.

It would be interesting to compile all of XCB with -Wpadded to see what
other bugs there are in the XML definitions.

(See also:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xcb/2008-January/003186.html -
which hasn't been applied yet).

Peter Harris
--
     Hummingbird Connectivity - A Division of Open Text
Peter Harris                    http://connectivity.hummingbird.com