[Xcb] Extension specification documents

Sat Dec 27 10:07:04 PST 2008

xorg at lists.freedesktop.org might have been better, but this list works.

> I always have a heck of a time finding the written specifications for
> parts of the X11 protocol.  Is there some central place for these
> things?  Right now I'm looking for the specification for the GLX
> extension, to look at which requests yield which errors, and which
> versions of GLX support which requests.
>
> More generally, where would I find this sort of thing for any of the extensions?

GLX is the exception because it was defined by the OpenGL ARB, not X.Org
or it's predecessors, and I'm not sure off hand where to find it - I'd start
looking at http://www.opengl.org/

Most X.Org defined/managed extension specs are in the doc/xorg-docs git repo:
	http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/doc/xorg-docs

The raw sources, in a variety of formats (framemaker, nroff, etc.)
are under the specs directory, with PostScript versions under hardcopy.
A plan to standardize them all to docbook under the sgml directory was
made, but only a few have been converted so far.

A few other extension specs are available in the proto/* repos for the
extensions, such as the randr spec at:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/proto/randrproto/tree/randrproto.txt

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com